Idea for a quick summer dinner.

It's hot here. And sometimes it's hard to come up with a dinner idea when you're just not that hungry because of the heat. I asked my husband if he wanted to go out and he said he'd rather grill something. But we still didn't know what we wanted so he went with me. We went to the meat counter and the minute I saw the seafood I walked to that section and there it was; catfish. I said to my husband I have my Cajun mix, we can have blackened catfish. And it was decided. Quick, easy, and delicious.

Cajun Catfish
Put fillets in a shallow dish and lightly cover with olive oil (4 fillets about 1 tbsp). Then sprinkle and rub in Cajun Spice (about 1 1/2 tbsp) (recipe below). Then grill. Easy. And low calorie.

I am a big fan of pre-package organic spring mix salad greens. Then I just throw in some golden cherry tomatoes, purple onion, mushrooms, avacado, or whatever else you like.

Rice is always a good side for fish. And because you have cajun spices, you want something light in the seasoning department. So I boil a can of low sodium chicken broth, add about a cup and a half of fast cooking rice. Add pepper and a bit of basil and you're set to go.

Then any kind of bread goes with it. But we like roasted garlic bread.

And because of the spice we usually pair it with a glass of Presecco or Riesling. Calories, a 4 oz fillet of Catfish is about 153 calories, add the bit of oil you used and the spice: approximately 200 calories. A cup or rice 160 calories, throw in about 5 calories for the broth. The salad about 40 calories plus whatever dressing you use, add 150 calories for 2 oz of bread. The wine is about 120 per 5 oz. A fast dinner for about 630 with includes your wine. Enjoy!

Cajun Spice Mix
Mix the following pour into a jar with a tight lid and store in dry place. 1 TBSP servings (13 calories)
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tbsp Coriander
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/3 cup Kosher Salt
1/4 cup Chili Powder
1/4 cup Paprika
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp basil

Comments

Popular Posts